Monday, December 03, 2012

Thankful

Sorry for the long absence. I really wanted to try and post about once a week... We'll continue to see how that goal goes in the future. But now I have written it, so you all can try to hold me accountable. :)
 
We have been really busy these last two + weeks. First, I signed up to coordinate the kindergarten Thanksgiving celebration. Tuesday before Thanksgiving I joined the classes in the morning to prepare a Thanksgiving craft. They each made an Indian headdress and a pilgrim hat or bonnet to wear at their feast the next day. Then they made a spoon turkey. I guess I didn't get any pictures of those, but maybe when Elizabeth brings hers home.
 
Then Wednesday there were around 30 kids and 4 teachers to feed. I prepared the turkey and gravy and had plenty of other parents volunteer to bring the other dishes and to help decorate and serve lunch. It turned out really nice. The kids sang a song about being thankful and then went around the table and told something they were thankful for. One little boy came up with "I am thankful for my country." They were all so sweet!
 
 
Next was our Thanksgiving celebration at home. We really didn't want to celebrate alone, so we invited our neighbors over to celebrate their first ever American Thanksgiving, and also another family from Kansas who we met when we arrived here in Zambia. It was nice to share our traditions with our new friends. We had turkey, stuffing, sweet potato pie, sauteed green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs and homemade bread. Then finished off with pumpkin pie for dessert! Elizabeth, Jackson and the two girls next door wanted to help decorate, so they made many signs reading "Happy Thanksgiving" and "thankful" and then taped them on and around the front door to greet our guests. And before the guests had arrived they all hopped in the pool. Then they were cold... so they hopped in a warm bath!
 
 
The Friday after Thanksgiving I waited and waited all day. And as I waited I got more and more anxious. You see, Matt had told me that our shipment of things had arrived to Lusaka and would likely be to our house that day. I know they are just "things" but we had been without our "things" for five months, and were ready to finally have them back. Some of the items in our boxes could easily be replaced, but a few were more precious and I just wanted to know they were safe and back in our possession. Well, Friday it was not to be. But on Saturday morning they arrived!! I think the first things we unpacked were all the kids toys. As you can see it was quite a mess. Sunday we worked on organizing it all and today I finished the final organizing of the playroom. I think we still have about fifteen boxes to unpack. So thankful that it is finally here and we can truly settle in and make our house feel more like home!


 
Here is a picture of our housekeeper Lucy. We are very thankful that she has come to work with us. She is hardworking and trustworthy. We appreciate all that she helps us with. I really appreciate that she is happy and the kids all get to see that big smile throughout the day!

 
Since our things have arrived we were able to sit Miles in a chair for his meals! Ten months old is probably a little late for this, but when we first arrived he hadn't started eating solid food yet, so we hadn't worried about a chair. He is still getting used to it, but definitely likes trying to pick up pieces and feed himself.

 
Also, Miles has gotten two new teeth for a total of four. I think in the next few days two more might come in as well. I also noticed that Jackson's upper two year molars have both come in sometime in the last two weeks. He now has a full mouth of teeth!

 
After bath one night... Jackson decided to put on Elizabeth's pajamas instead of his own. "Panties" and all! He will want to kill me some day for posting this. Hahaha!
 
 
Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment